CNW GP15-1 4405 from a Walthers trainline model

finished shots:




construction shots:







This model started out as a stripped Walthers Trainline GP15-1 that I reworked and redetailed to represent CNW GP15-1 4405.

I started by removing the nose and installing a Cannon and Company nose and a stock Athearn dash 2 cab. I cut out the molded on fans and replaced with S&S Limited photo etched grilles. The stock handrail holes were plugged and new handrail locations were drilled for Smokey Valley stanchions with new .015 brass wire handrails bent. The pilot faces were rebuilt with Details West buffer plates which were enlarged to take a Kadee 58 box. New holes were drilled into the frame and tapped. The boxes now hold the shell onto the mechanism. Next, new cut bars and MU hose locations were located and a new Details West 155 plow was fitted to the front. Also at this time, to the cab roof, a new Details West horn and sinclair antenna were added along with a Precision Scale beacon and Detail Associates lift rings. The nose was notched and a Detail Associates gong bell was added along with Tichy 18 drop wire grab irons.

The mechanism was dismantled and the trucks were modified to accept Athearn Blomberg B sideframes, which in turn had new air lines, a Details West speed recorder and a Custom Finishes ATS shoe added. The frame was drilled out to accept a Detail Associate round site glass on both sides of the fuel tank, and Detail Associates and Details West parts were used for the fuel tank fittings.

The unit went through an abrasive blasting to etch all surfaces for maximum paint adhesion and prepped for painting.

For painting, the unit was primed with Floquil, oversprayed with Scalecoat II white, then Testor's Model Master Chrome Yellow, Model Master Japanese Imperial Green for the body, a mix of Floquil black, grimy black and primer gray for the anti skid on the walkways and nose, and floquil engine black for the mechanism.

The decals are Microscale from several different sets, with the exception of the numberboards which are Shellscale decals. The entire unit was semiglossed with half Testor's glosscoat and half Testor's dullcoat thinned with lacquer thinner.

BACK



© Copyright 2008 Kelley Duford
Last Updated 3/12/2008